Monday 8 October 2012

My Word

I apologize right now.  I'm writing this fairly late at night and there will probably be a few gramatical errors that I most likely won't come back to fix. Sorry!
I was catching up on a blog I frequently read, Nesting Place.  If you haven't read it, it's a really great view on home and decor, "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful".  Some may be surprised as a decorator that I would agree with this, but I completely do.  No home will every be completely finished and magazine ready.  Even the homes in the magazines are styled before they are photographed.
Anyways, she does a 31 day thing where she blogs everyday about one subject for 31 days.  This years her subject to blog on is Home on Purpose, so far it's been really great!  Her day 6 post was One Word You Don't Want.  About choosing a word you don't want your home to be, such as cute, formal, sterile etc.  There were piles of others in her comments.
So I was thinking what would my word be?  After some thought I think it's inauthentic.  I have done a lot of collecting of things over the years.  I go out and buy something because I see it at someone else's house, or in all the stores, to fill an empty spot, it's inexpensive or whatever.  But shortly after I realize, I don't really like it.  I didn't buy it because it was something I really fell in love with and in the end is a total waste of money and doesn't really reflect my (or my family's) personality. 
My goal is to try to take my time and get only what I really love and will really work for my family.  Even if the girl next door doesn't love it, it's not her house, it's mine and why not get what makes me feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment