Monday 29 October 2012

Adding Warmth to Your Room in Cold Weather

 

Now that we're getting some cold weather and a bit of snow flying, I'm looking for ways to add that warm cozy feeling to my home, especially my living room and bedroom.  Here are a few things I do.

Texture.  Things like fuzzy knit throws and pillows or warm rugs and flokati cushions.  Even just adding some logs to the wood box makes me think of warm nights by the fire.








Warm colours.  If you're up for painting go for it but you can add warm colors in your accessories much quicker and switch them back to your cool ones in the summer if you want.  This doesn't neccessarily mean you have to switch your entire color scheme.  You can use neutrals like a warm cream throw and rich warm brown wood or leather pieces.  Or if you have a neutral backdrop add some color from the warm side of your color wheel.  Reds, oranges, and yellows.  Darker hues of these tend to feel a bit more cozy and mature. 


Source: bhg.com via Kirsten on Pinterest


Source: bhg.com via Kirsten on Pinterest


Source: bhg.com via Kirsten on Pinterest

Light. Low, warm toned lighting makes the room feel more intimate, cozy and warmer of course.  If you want your room to feel warmer make sure your bulbs are warm toned.  The yellow toned light reflects off of your walls and furniture making everything appear a warmer colour.




If you have a fireplace all you have to do is start a fire to add instant warmth and ambience but if you don't you can still add it in smaller doses by lighting a few candles.


Source: 123rf.com via Kirsten on Pinterest

Scent - If you're lighting some candles why not make them scented with something that brings feelings of warmth and comfort like peppermint, apple pie, gingerbread, vanilla.  These are some of my favorites, and I'm just now noticing they all revolve around food, haha!  Smell is one of the most powerful ways to create emotion and is strongly connected to memory.  It can go a long way in creating the atmosphere you're after.
I'm in love with my new scentsy



This is the one I have!  It adds some nice ambient lighting and smells fantastic,  I've only tried 'Frosted Ginger Cookie' so far but I can't switch if out because I'm enjoying it so much in this cool weather.  It just smells warm and cozy when you walk in the door!  I bought mine from a lady down the street from me if you're looking for one.

If you're like me and don't really look forward to the cold, add a few cozy touches to your home, curl up with a warm drink and your knit throw and suddenly you don't mind it quite so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment