Tuesday 18 September 2012

Style with Kids Series: Introduction

I decided to do a little series on if it's possible for kids and a nicely decorated home to coexist. Lot's of parents believe when you have kids your house becomes a McDonald's playplace and you might as well get used to it.  Many parents don't want to invest any money in their home to have it wrecked immediatly. I myself find that I've put off some projects (such as refinishing my hardwood floors). I think there is no point investing that money only to have a huge scratch the next day from a toy being dragged across it.  But at the same time I think, "I don't want to live in a house with a bunch of stuff we don't like for years on end.  Your home should be a place you love and feel comfortable in, right?"  So how do you get that balance? 





When kids are young they tend to get sticky fingers and mouths on things, milk cups tip over, dirty feet jump on the couch, and even the dreaded leaky diaper on the rug, eeww!  I have definitely been there.  However I think there are still ways to have a nice home that is child friendly!



This happens to be a playroom, don't worry, I don't plan to tell you to make your house a stylish toy land.  But I do think it is adorable, kid friendly, and still quite stylish!  I'd be happy to spend time in that playroom!  Even though it's great, I wouldn't want to live in it all the time. 
Many parents think once they have kids they have to have every toy out in the livingroom for them to play with at all times. Or that they need to live with that hand me down stained couch forever because who want to go buy a new couch for the kids to spill all over.   But when the kids are in bed at night do they really feel happy and themselves surrounded in toys and books and sippy cups?  Can they relax and unwind on the stained frumpy couch?  To a degree that is life with kids but I think there needs to be a balance so everyone can be happy!
There are piles of options out there now for us parents that don't want to sacrifice our style to live in a home that still works for our children.  So stay tuned for Part 1: Storage!

No comments:

Post a Comment