Wednesday 17 April 2013

Adding Spring to Your Home

I don't know about you but this NEVER ENDING winter weather is really getting on my nerves.  I think I have a bit of seasonal depression because of it. 
I've never been more eager to have it warm up so I can open the doors and windows and get my spring cleaning done.  When I'd come home from school and my mom would have everything wide open and airing out, and everything would be pulled off the shelves and walls to be wiped and vaccumed and washed, was always when I felt like spring had come.  Life seems to be a bit stuck on winter mode until that happens for me.

So in an effort to throw off some of this "blahness" (I'm sure that isn't a word but I'm using it) I've been looking at some ways to quickly, easily, and cheaply add some of that spring feeling to my home in the mean time.

Flowers and greenery




Nothing brightens up a room like something living!  Having a vase of flowers on your table or desk totally brightens that area.  And if you want something that will last a lot longer, or if you're like me and have a black thumb, there are gorgeous faux flowers and greenery for very reasonable prices.  Check out Ikea or I've even found beautiful fake orchids at Safeway for a good price.


Accessories


Source: bhg.com via Kirsten on Pinterest

Recover some throw pillows and add a light throw or a fun rug in a bright colour. Add a new vase or lamp or even pull books with bright covers off the shelf and use them in a more obvious place.  All inexpensive ways to switch things up a bit.  Switching out some of your accessories for something in a bright hue adds colour and make the space feel new and exciting again. 

Paint





Painting a wall or a piece of furniture can totally change and brighten a space on a budget.  You can even make an old lamp or vase new for the cost of a can of spray paint.  I like this because if you want to switch it up in the fall you can without feeling too bad.

Windows


Part of that spring feeling is adding more light to your space.  Cleaning your windows (when you can finally get out to do that) will instantly make your room brighter.  It's amazing how dingy they get over the winter!  If you have heavy curtains that aren't used for privacy or light control reasons you could consider changing them out with something lighter for the spring/summer seasons.  This will allow more light into your room and the light fabric will lend a light and airy feel to the whole room.


Declutter


Clear out all that clutter that's gathered over the winter.  Every once in awhile, usually at the change to spring or fall for me, I like to clear all the little stuff out of the space leaving only the furniture.  It gives me a chance to look at everything I've accumulated all laid out and decide what I really like and what is working and what might just be adding to a cluttered or unharmonious look.  I can clean off all the surfaces and items properly and place them where they will look best.  A bonus of this for me (I seem to get tired of things quickly and crave change) is that I end up with a bit different look without spending any money.

And someday, whenever it may come, I will throw open my doors and windows and do a thorough clean and it will truly be spring for me!

Looking for a change this spring or summer?  I'd love to help!  Contact me at realinteriors@hotmail.com !

No comments:

Post a Comment